Education WG Recurring Meeting

There are now 97 days left until the beginning of the third quarter of the year, which means we are almost half way through 2023. As part of the Education Working Group initiative, I propose that student participants should focus their education path around the development of one project that can become a core contribution to the PA central project.

First, what is the PA central project? Second, for this first Education Working Group term, what should developers focus on learning that will contribute to the PA central project? Finally, once that focus is defined, what goal should Working Group participants aim to complete before the end of this term?

I propose that the Education Working Group should define one project goal (ie. deploy a smart contract) and create an education plan to complete that goal by end of term.

I do believe that this Working Group should have a steward; someone to help the participants with lesser knowledge on dev tooling, skillsets to complete their education path.

Let’s discuss this on the next call, here is a link to a proposed time.

PA: Education Weekly Call
Thursday, March 30 · 9:00 – 10:00am
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/muu-mvop-fdu
Or dial: ‪(US) +1 573-741-0125‬ PIN: ‪190 478 981‬#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/muu-mvop-fdu?pin=5043669472451

4 Likes

thanks for this post and I agree that these are good questions to think about to kick off next weeks call

if you have any questions on the recording let me know, the conversation was contained to an hour but is ongoing

thank u sm for taking the lead on this. couple questions/thoughts

  1. what time zone is the 9am-10am slot you listed?
  2. goals/focus/priorities of this group + PA at large will be really interesting to discuss. I think one pontential “center” of PA these days could be defined as the development of our onchain information/media/content network which is currently being supplemented by multiple endeavors at the moment. figuring out how we want to store/share/promote different conversations + outputs of our network will be critical as we begin to open things up more publicly

I also think an interesting distinction we should talk about is: Education as a “Working Group” and Education as a “Learning Group”. Though they are all more broadly working groups, there is a difference between the solidity learning(working) group and the larger education working group.

Wondering how much these learning groups are integrated into the larger working groups timelines+goals.

yea something like

Education WG: Guild

Solidity LG: tightly scoped project

there’s a difference between guilds (less specific targets, more of a general coalition of ppl working in same stuff) and projects (more specific targets, prob smaller teams, more group member ownership, more measurement of “progress” as an indicator of success)

1 Like
  1. Eastern Standard Time
  2. Focus: development of PA’s onchain information/media/content network; how to record and syndicate conversations.

Yes, I think to @valcoholics point:

“central PA onboarding and raising overall context to create syngergy among current participants in the org, just PA for right now and not all of Web 3 – more context, more creativity, more props

This is a good focus for Education WG.

Subscribe to the PA: Education Working Group. Let’s think about how we can create a master calendar for all WG calls? @0xTranqui

yea we can use the PA google workspace account. so far its just the solidity group calls. during the first edu wg call tm we can figure out a recurring slot and add it to the calendar?

1 Like

It’s saying I don’t have permission to view events in the first Cal

Big fan of a community calendar with public link that lives in the onboard. Have to be careful with admin for what makes it on the board and what meetings have the conference link exposed, but I think it’s a cool transparency thing even if some stuff isn’t totally open: a sense of structure for contributors, but especially nice as a bird’s eye view for newcomers and onlookers trying to hop in. Also enables quick notifications option and I’m useless if I don’t have 2+ reminders per meeting hitting my phone :grimacing: :ribbon:

3 Likes

Yes, let’s use the PA google workspace account and add it to the cal!

Sorry I couldn’t make this call! Was the call recorded by any chance? Also if the recurring meeting hasn’t been setup, let me know I can set it up.

I was thinking more about val’s response:

central PA onboarding and raising overall context to create syngergy among current participants in the org, just PA for right now and not all of Web 3. more context - more creativity - more props. i think PA is very ahead regarding the current personality and design choices within our dapps and way we approach the growing “onchain” narrative for right now. but its open ended

I started to realize that onboarding kind of happens at all stages for people even currently in PA. Coordination in information + context is already quite siloed into who/what you know, and as Val said raising overall context even for PA members will become an important aspect/extension of the onboarding effort.

Right now, there is a lot of information/material about PA that is dispersed throughout the many different channels like the forum, twitter, github, etc.

What if the frontpage of public---assembly.com was an “onboarding/pm/educator” bot that can answer any questions ranging from “What is Public Assembly” to “Can you explain to me how I can integrate AssemblyPress into my project?”

The more I think about the revamped Developer DAO onboarding program, it still feels super clunky to people who haven’t necessarily made the emotional commitment to dive in and try to get a feel for things first. Not to mention how “onboarding” is also a process that occurs for people who want to dive back into things again.

This in comparison to pulling up to public---assembly.com and being able to immediately interact with your questions, regardless of how versed you are with Public Assembly, feels like a big motivator for people to find their own angle of participation.

And finally, I think this could be a really interesting interpretation of what the Education WG’s main product/protocol can be. I’m suspecting that this could be something that Public Assembly deems its central focus/direction for treasury allocation + acquiring invesment could be.

Inspiration/Reference:
https://twitter.com/wenquai/status/1640389505893933056?s=20
https://twitter.com/wenquai/status/1640872842446135296

3 Likes

Public Assembly’s Inaugural Education Working Group Meeting - Minutes (03.30.23; 9AM Eastern Standard Time):

Participants:

Context:

  • Marcus introduces himself as an artist evangelist and creative engineer.
  • He highlights his interest in DAOs, meta governance and on-chain music ecosystems, and mentions the Ethereum protocol roadmap session.
  • Marcus proposes that the Education Working Group defines a project goal and creates an education plan to complete it by the end of the term.
  • He asks what the Public Assembly Central Project is and what goals the Working Group participants should aim to complete.
  • Valerie and Max agree with Marcus’ proposal and suggest onboarding and raising overall context as the central project goal.
  • PA members suggest distinguishing between the Education Working Group and the Solidity Learning Working Group.
  • The group agrees that promoting and syndicating conversations and outputs of the network will be critical as they begin to open things up more publicly.

Public Assembly’s Mission and Education Working Group:

  • Education working group aims to create a shared context and align the onboarding process.
  • Public Assembly onboarding project should focus on raising overall context and creating synergy among current participants.
  • Starting with Public Assembly as a beginning point is like onboarding to the most updated version of Web 3.
  • Public Assembly is iterating on top of Zora’s Tech and bringing it towards everyone else.
  • Public Assembly needs a clear enough mission and a code of conduct to encourage more proposals and interaction.
  • Public Assembly is a public good and belongs to everyone.
  • Valerie is working on education within the Public Assembly since its beginning.

Education Starter Kits and Hyperstructures in PA

  • Val and Marcus discussed the possibility of creating an education starter kit that will help more people join the PA ecosystem, get a wallet and submit their first proposal.
  • Marcus mentioned that there is an existing information distribution hyperstructure in the works, which will be an aggregator of different videos already on chain.
  • The PA approach is expected to be more modular, and it will operate as a design and talent agency in the short to long term.
  • The outputs of the PA brand would be formed as a hyperstructure, and Assembly Press would be used within the education working group to develop public assembly education starter kits.
  • One of the biggest goals for videos for PA is showing that it can turn a website like Neo Sound into its actual application.
  • The team is also working on creating flexible DAO interfaces, and a great video to build context for PA expert on the development aspect is just one long video deconstructing and reconstructing Ozone and other products.

What motivated you and gave you confidence to self-select as a leader of the Education Working Group?

I believe that there is a lot of contextual knowledge to be gained when it comes to PA, and I am currently in the process of learning all about it. To fully immerse myself in all the happenings within PA, I decided to take on a role with the education working group. As we both mentioned earlier, anyone in the world without a wallet lacks the necessary context to get started with PA. So, how can we help them get from that point to the finish line of submitting their first proposal? I believe that creating a learning path or trail for beginners would be a good first step. Although I am still relatively new to web three and crypto, I plan to take my learnings and write them in a way that makes sense for others who are just starting. The co-founders and initial members of PA have a lot more context than newcomers do, so it’s important to find a way to help others catch up.

As part of the education working group, I see myself as the person who creates a learning path or trail that identifies where the discussions are going and highlights the key learnings along the way. I plan to pick out different artifacts created along the path and create examples of them to help educate the next person who comes along. Hopefully, these examples will serve as a guide for newcomers to PA to contribute their unique skill sets to the overall initiative. I will also tag newer members, such as Colombo or Q, in the summary of our discussion to help form the learning path.

The learning path doesn’t have to be complicated. It can be as simple as teaching someone how to submit a proposal. I recall my own experience when I first got my wallet, and I burned $100 of eth. It was a horrible experience, especially for someone with limited disposable income. I want to help others avoid making similar mistakes as they get started. As part of the working group, I want to focus on creative technologists and help them understand how they can contribute to the central project of PA. By doing so, I hope to help develop the potential of web three in general.

Education is critical for PA to succeed. We need to find ways to communicate complex ideas in a way that is easy to understand, like we’re explaining it to a five-year-old. As we continue to build shared understanding and knowledge, we can find better ways to help people engage with decentralized applications and self-customize their assets. I am excited to be part of the education working group and look forward to contributing to its success.

@estmcmxci

On building portfolios, interfacing with different organizations, and creating frameworks:

Building my portfolio is something I need to take more into consideration. While I prefer to build one-on-one relationships with people and let them get to know me personally, I understand the importance of showcasing my work in a more formal way. Currently, my website only has a few pictures and a paragraph, so it doesn’t do justice to my skills and experience.

My focus is on on-chain music, and my background is in the music industry, where I have managed several artists. The industry is going through an existential crisis due to the oversupply of AI-generated music, and major labels are losing market share. There’s a rise of independent musicians globally, but their earnings are dwindling as new entrants receive less and less income due to the pro-rata model.

To address this issue, I am participating in Dan Fowler’s Neume Network, and I spoke with Charlie at Decent XYZ earlier this week about how public funding models could bootstrap on-chain music ecosystems. I believe there’s a synergy between PA and what’s being built within it to apply to the larger music industry.

Currently, I’m working on a report that explores how tokens power on-chain music communities. I plan to deliver it to the Water and Music Research before the beginning of the third quarter. I’m deep into the writing phase right now, and I hope to contribute to ongoing experiments in the industry.

@estmcmxci

It seems like we need more decentralized researchers who take initiative to conduct independent research and focus on specific areas. In terms of PA, there is interest in catering to university learners, as well as individuals who prefer self-learning. It is important to consider different learning tracks, including academic and self-taught learners. While there is a central path to follow, we need to explore ways to cater to learners with different needs.

We have individuals in our network who come from different backgrounds, such as Colombo from the Berklee community; We hope to offer PA lectures and workshops in the future that can cater to these individuals.

Effective communication is key to building context, and one-on-one conversations like this can create deeper conversations than forum discussions. While some may prefer discord, we purposely do not have a discord to keep communication open.

Our goal is to foster collaboration and encourage more participation from individuals. While we have 58 holders, not everyone is expected to participate actively. Even exercising one’s power to vote on the Treasury can be fulfilling.

@valcoholics

Action Items:

  • Vote on a recurring meeting time using sth like lettucemeet.com; @junghwan could you assist us? We can add it to PA cal and CTA for edu-wg members to subscribe.
  • Begin building a learning path on Notion @projectmehari; I am aware you’ve started building one already but I wonder @0xTranqui if it would be worth it to create a PA Workspace on Notion and invite contributors there.
  • Discuss possible deliverables for Edu-WG 001 release; edu-starter kit, hyperstructures, defining 0 → 1 moment for newcomers (ie. no wallet, no context → DAO token, submit props)
2 Likes

Thanks for this thoughtful post! I’ll dm you about setting a recurring meeting from the PA cal

1 Like

this was such an amazing breakdown im in awe. I just took the first steps (it took me like 3 mins) to figure out how to start approaching a PA chat bot. tldr is i think we can actually do this relatively easily :exploding_head:

will spending some time thinking + responding more bout all the stuff u wrote !

2 Likes